Sunday, October 7, 2007

Final Weigh In

It was amusing to see the other two people who did the experiment to each walk in with one big bag of trash on the weigh in day. After we weighed our wastes we found that everything weighed the same. Although it wasn't the 4.6 lbs that my research had led me to, the weight came to about 1.5 lbs. We then calculated how much it would add up to for the entire year. The total came out to be 274.5 lbs. Now that's a lot considering that for two days my trash only weighed 1.5 lbs. Another thing that both you and I need to consider is that I somewhat purposely tried to not add anything heavy. Basically I was avoiding drinking from bottles, eating from plastic containers and not using paper as much. In a way I cheated on the experiment but it was ok because the professor admitted to doing the same thing.

The experiment in fact, despite our intentions to not add too much trash, was informative and helpful. It showed us that even though our total weights were little the yearly result was large. Just imagine every single person in the US by the end of the year accumulated 274.5 lbs of waste. There are billions of people living in the US, so that is a lot of trash in the US alone.

This experiment was helpful for me to make better decisions on recycling and reducing my trash accumulations and hopefully it was for you as well.

1 comment:

C. Jason Smith said...

Yesh, I did the same thing--I avoided "heavy" and did not inlclude anything that *might* be trash. I only put stuff in the bag instead of the trash. I ave piles and piles of papers in my office. Oh well.